Ernestina Masts Going Up May 31
The coins are ready and the crane is scheduled for 9 am Friday May 31.
The history of the coins that were already under the masts is interesting, just as amazing as Ernestina-Morrrissey’s history.
and the new coins that will be added this year include:
Coins Taken from Ernestina’s Foremast – December 9, 2011
- 1977 Cape Verdean 50 Escudos Amilcar Cabral celebrating the newly formed Republic of Cape Verde and the gift of the ship to the US which returned Ernestina ex Effie M. Morrissey to Massachusetts where she was launched in 1894. http://www.archive.ernestina.org/history/1982.html
- 1994 Silver Dollar added in 1994 with foremast http://www.archive.ernestina.org/history/1994.html
- 2003 quarter added in 2003 after rig inspection http://www.archive.ernestina.org/ship/logbook2003/lg042903.html
Coins Taken from Ernestina’s Mainmast – December 9, 2011
- 1977 Cape Verdean 50 Escudos Amilcar Cabral
- 1894 Silver Dollar Commemorates Effie M. Morrissey’s launch from Essex, MA http://www.archive.ernestina.org/history/1894.html
- 1986 Statue of Liberty Silver Dollar added during refit which allowed Ernestina’s participation in OpSail 1986 “Salute to Liberty” celebrating the Statue of Liberty’s centennial. http://www.archive.ernestina.org/history/1986.html
- mystery quarter? Only copper disk left
Coins to be added for 2013 mast stepping
- 1945 Newfoundland 5 cent piece donated by SEMA director Catherine Dempsey representing the Captain Bob Bartlett Arctic exploration years.
- Cape Verdean 50 Escudos donated by Tiny Tavares
- Cape Verdean 100 Escudos donated by Laura Pires-Hester
- 2013 “America the Beautiful” series Perry’s Victory and International Peace Memorial Quarter recognizing Ernestina’s partnership with the New Bedford Whaling National Historical Park, her special relationship with Canada and a special message to all of us from Master Commandant Oliver Hazard Perry “Don’t Give Up the Ship”
Schooner Ernestina ex Effie M. Morrissey masts will be stepped 5/31/2013
- new foremast donated to the Schooner Ernestina Commission by Schooner Ernestina-Morrissey Association, Inc. http://www.ernestina.org/news/new-foremast-arrives-2/
- Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation’s Partnership Matching Program provided the funds for outfitting the new foremast and for the repairs and maintenance to the main mast and the ship’s rigging.
- shipwright Leon Poindexter lead the crew to complete the project